2019 season is now open!
This year we have two CSA options to choose from! You can continue to be a member of our apple-only CSA, or you can choose to be a complete fruit lover and choose the Full-Fruit CSA!
Our Apple-only CSA share is a perfect way to taste your way through the apple season!
CSA members receive 30 pounds of certified organic apples and a gallon of our premium apple cider throughout the season. Every two weeks, each CSA member picks up a 5 -pound bag of certified organic apples of the variety that is most exciting that week. There are six biweekly share pickups starting in early September; the last, pre-Thanksgiving share pickup in November includes apple cider.
Full-Fruit Share CSA
The Full-Fruit option includes all of the apples and cider in the Apple-only CSA, PLUS you will receive regular deliveries of delicious fruit throughout the year! We will be limiting locations for the full fruit CSA. A typical year might include:
flat (12 lbs) of strawberries in June
10 lbs box of fresh blueberries in July
10 lbs of fresh peaches in early August
10 lbs of tomatoes in late August
…and then the 6 deliveries of apples, totaling 30 lbs plus a gallon of cider!
We may substitute pears, or melons/watermelons, or increase the quantity of an item based on how the season progresses. Everything we grow is certified organic by Oregon Tilth. (The blueberries are certified transitional for one more year)
As an additional benefit, CSA members enjoy discounted rates on cider and special bulk offers on other farm produce.
CSA pick-up dates for 2019 will vary by location. Shares will start after Labor Day and end in November before Thanksgiving.
Pick-up locations for 2019 (subject to change):
* Glenwood Sunday Market in Rogers Park, Sundays at our market stand (9am-2pm)
* Logan Square Farmers’ Market (Sunday 10am-3pm) at our market stand
Hyde Park, KAM Isaiah Israel, 5039 S. Greenwod (Saturdays, 8am-2am)
* Michigan: at the farm (Saturday or Sunday, 10am-6pm)
* Indiana: South Bend, Common Goods Co-Operative Grocery on Wednesdays
Lake Bluff, at a member’s home near Sheridan & Thornwood/Rockland
Highland Park, at a member’s home near GreenBay Road and Lincoln Ave
* Palatine, at a member’s home near Route 53 & Palatine Rd.
Park Ridge, at a member’s home near Dee Road & Touhy Ave.
Grayslake – NEW SITE!
Downers Grove, host site TBD
* Naperville, at a member’s home near Ogden & Naper Blvd.
* Lombard, at a member’s home near North Av. & Rohlwing
Oak Park, at Sugar Beet Food Co-op
* – These sites are available for the Full-Fruit CSA Share
Pricing: Our full fruit share is $160 for the season. Our Apple-only CSA is $55 for the season. NOTE: Purchasing a Full Fruit Share membership includes the apple CSA deliveries. CSA Member shares are available for purchase until Memorial Day.
Community Supported Agriculture is a way for farmers and consumers to share both the rewards and the risks associated with farming. Some benefits of a CSA membership (from Localharvest.org):
Advantages for farmers:
- Get to spend time marketing the food early in the year, before their 16 hour days in the field begin
- Receive payment early in the season, which helps with the farm’s cash flow
- Have an opportunity to get to know the people who eat the food they grow
Advantages for consumers:
- Eat ultra-fresh food, with all the flavor and vitamin benefits
- Get exposed to new vegetables and new ways of cooking
- Usually get to visit the farm at least once a season
- Develop a relationship with the farmer who grows their food and learn more about how food is grown
To join our 2018 organic apple CSA for only $45, please click through to sign up via our fancy online CSA management system. Listed delivery days are tentative and may change based on total numbers. You will need to create a login. If this is a gift, please give us the recipient’s details (especially email address) and critical dates in the “notes” section.
Earth First Farms is a proud member of Band of Farmers: Chicagoland CSA Coalition.